Hallicrafters in the movies....

Dave Dave at BOATANCHORS.COM
Fri Feb 2 08:23:59 EST 2001

Hello all,

I have been reading the 1932 novel, When Worlds Collide by Edwin Balmer
and Phillip Wylie - about 700 pages of delightful old sci-fi before the days
of 'real' spaceflight and nuclear energy.  Essentially the story of the
earth being
wiped out by an approaching dual planet system, and a group of folks who
build from scratch (in 7 months no less) a nuclear powered spaceship capable
of transporting several hundred people to one of the invading worlds to
'start
civilization over'.   Fun stuff!

Anyway, I found the movie at the library - made about 1950 in color.  In it
the science team uses 2 beautiful Hallicrafters S-40B receivers to monitor
the
rest of the world as the destruction of earth begins.  They give good clear
shots of the receivers, and ostensibly play us audio from them - fairly
believably,
I might add - perhaps they DID use the real audio as a 'special effect'!

Anyway, just thought I'd add to the list of movies with boatanchors
featured.
And hey - they DIDN'T have a microphone hooked to it to make it
a transmitter!!  (Although, I haven't watched the whole movie yet - went to
bed halfway through.  I'll report if the second half turns the S-40B into
'the radio
from the SS Minnow in the hands of the Professor'

73

Dave WB7AWK
http://www.boatanchors.com