Help on HRO5TAI

Dave Hollander davidh at GETNET.COM
Sat Feb 3 16:39:32 EST 2001

Just fired up an HRO5TAI that has been sitting for a while in my garage
and short of recapping the whole thing, here is the problem. I have
checked all tubes and it has good audio. Now here is the problem:

Plays fine on the Broadcast band with what appears to be a pre-war HRO
SR. or military coil that goes from 0.5 to 1.0 MHZ

When I plug in the correct coils that are supposed to go with the radio,
Only have audio and I can weakly hear my signal generator. I say correct
coils because I have two working HRO5T's and their is nothing wrong with
any of the coils.

On the B coil, I can hear one 20 meter signals from one frequency, over
a considerable portion of the dial.

Before I start tearing into this, any suggestions on what to look for.

Coincidentally, I have the same problem with an NC-80X. Worked fine,
finished recapping it , worked fine and than it quit - having the same
problem as I described with the HRO - one BCB signal covering the whole
band on each band.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dave N7RK

Dave  N7RK -  Webmaster CADXA
Phoenix, Arizona         *DXCC Honor Roll*    *WAZ#23 - 75 Meter SSB*

            ex-XE2/N7RK, N7RK/ZB2, VK2ERK, ZM0AJN, WB6NRK, WN6IWX

Boatanchor Collector Extraordinaire preferring Hallicrafters, National
and what ever else looks interesting!

E-Mail: davidh at getnet.com  Home Page:  http://www.getnet.com/~davidh

Visit the Central Arizona DX Association Home page - http://cadxa.org