Boatanchors, physics, and earthquakes

Jim Strohm jstrohm at TEXAS.NET
Wed Feb 28 19:35:55 EST 2001

Dave <Dave at BOATANCHORS.COM> says

[snip]

>Moral:  Boatanchors are HEAVY.  When the shelves under them are
>being tossed to-and-fro in an earthquake, the radios just walk away.
>Any of you that may also be in earthquake zones should do as I am
>doing tonight and coming up with a way to shore things up.   The shelf
>system I use is rock solid and firmly planted to the house.  So I'm going
>to install a front 'lip' on the shelves to prevent radios sliding off.  As
>far
>as stacking?  Won't be doing THAT again any time soon.

Hm, how about bolting them to the shelf, and bolting the shelves to the wall?

All of a sudden, rack-mounted equipment makes a whole lot more sense.

Of course, we don't have very many earthquakes here in Texas.  Just
tornadoes.  The last really big one swept up an entire neighborhood,
asphalt driveways and streets too, all except for the concrete slabs.

And just last night I was thinking about how nice it would be to have a
football field-sized underground bunker to store my radio "good stuff" in.

I'll be sure to earthquake-proof....

Jim