D 104 microphone elements

Lee Bahr w5drc at EARTHLINK.NET
Sun Jan 7 22:22:28 EST 2001

It's been my experience they are SUPPOSED to be the same, but for some
reason early production elements made prior to the amplified days seem
to sound better then those produced later on. I'd suspect the
manufacturing process changed somewhere along the way.  By the way, you
can dramatically change the bass response by changing the grid load
resistor value. Also, the crystal elements are easily fractured from
heat, so some out there could be damaged.  Also, I have seen plenty of
old cartridges damaged from mechanical abuse to the aluminum sound
capturing cone disc placed on the front of the element too.  (the
diaphragm)
Lee Bahr  w0vt