DX-35 and DX-40 crystal covers

Glen E. Zook gzook at HOME.COM
Sun Jul 15 19:22:41 EDT 2001

The "prototypes" of the crystal covers worked out fine.  However, need
to use heavier sheet steel (the cabinet is steel, not aluminum).  All
that was available locally on Sunday was 30 gauge.  The cabinet is
either 26 or 24 gauge.  Will look tomorrow for a source of the heavier
metal.  Because of the small size, scraps from an airconditioning
company, etc. will work fine.

I have two questions:  How many of the bent "clip" areas are on the
bottom (the area that "clips" onto the cabinet) and what are the
size(s)?

The "prototypes" have two of these 0.5 inches from each side and 0.5
inches long.  These hold well.

Painted the sheet steel with primer and then black wrinkle paint.  When
that hardens (spray can says 24 hours) will "overspray" with gray paint.

Actually I would rather work with sheet steel since it is much easier to
bend (doesn't "crack" like aluminum can).  This is especially true on
the small, offset, bends on the "clip" areas.

I made the "clip" areas on the "prototypes" 0.5 inches because I have a
"hand bender" that easily does that size.

Anyway, this information is for the many who expressed an interest in
the crystal covers for the DX-35 and DX-40.

Glen, K9STH