Siltronix 1011C

jstrohm@texas.net jstrohm at TEXAS.NET
Fri Oct 19 10:34:21 EDT 2001

You mean you have a Siltronix 1011 that hasn't been "converted" already?

IIRC, the owner's manual tells you not to remove a certain wire on the bandswitch, or out-of-band operation may occur.

I'd have to dig out my 1011D manual, but IIRC the conversion gives you full coverage from somewhere around 26.5 to 29.  If not, it should be a simple matter to swap the 10 meter crystal for one that's 300 kHz lower.

As for the conversion -- 6146s would be nice, but it would be non-trivial to change the sockets and rewire.  I don't think there's an easy way to do this (like most military rigs have a subchassis that can be swapped) but I haven't looked in a Siltronix in 15 years, and I'm not sure if I can find my manual.  Maybe somebody can pitch in their thoughts here.

FWIW, your Siltronix would probably fetch a fortune on ebay.  This rig has always been very popular with CBers.  And a good set of 8950s could go as high as $100. now.

Jim N6OTQ

Original Message:
-----------------
From: JR LINDEN jrlinden at USA.NET
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 07:13:45 MST
To: BOATANCHORS at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: Siltronix 1011C

I just noticed that the 10 meter coverage starts at 28.5 and the Collins
posting lately stated their station would be on 10 at 28.350.  It seemed to me
that years ago, when I was active on 10, much of the action was below 28.5.
Does anyone else see that as a problem and has anyone heard of a modification
to change the band beginning?  The 8950 seems to be a rare bird too, has
anyone heard of a retro to 6141?  I would also like to thank all those who
responded to my request for a manual.  Hopefully I have an original coming in
the mail.  These reflectors are the cats meow for those of us that took a
break from the hobby for a while.  Agn tnx.....JR  K7PUR   Cave Creek, AZ

JR Linden  K7PUR
Cave Creek, AZ