Origin of 73 (Phillips' Code)

Glen E. Zook gzook at HOME.COM
Thu Sep 27 23:37:48 EDT 2001

I had always been led to believe that the Phillips code contained numerical as
well as "text" type.  However, from the information that is coming forth, my
historical "sources" seem to need correcting (I have several articles around the
shack that list the numerical messages as being from the Phillips code)!

There is a possibility that the numerical messages were "unofficially" added by
the convention in 1859 (or later).

Anyway, the information in the QST article confirms the origin of 73 and its
original meaning.  Now to determine just when 22 got changed to 88.

Glen, K9STH