Heath AK-5 speaker variants

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Wed Aug 28 18:47:08 EDT 2002

Since I have gone from AK-5 poor to now having 3 in my
posession (2 of them are mine), I notice that there
are 2 distinctive variants.  On one of mine and the
one that I borrowed a while back, the sides come out
"flush" with the front.  The 3rd one, that I just got
today, has a groove about 3/32 inch wide between the
front and the housing.  The trim around the front is
3/4 inch wide, then there is the groove and the rest
of the housing which is 5.125 inches wide, making for
a total depth of 5 15/16 inches which is identical to
the other 2 speakers.

Obviously, Heath used at least two manufacturers for
the housings.  Now, I wonder, which type is the more
common.  Of course, the AK-5 speaker is one of the
more "scarce" items that was manufactured by Heath (as
well as being relatively "ugly" - at least in my
opinion!).

Are there even more variants out there?

Glen, K9STH

=====