Need 8ohm : 5K Audio Transformer

Gerald Straight jerrys at FTP.XETRON.COM
Tue Feb 26 11:21:33 EST 2002

Jim,
   Lots of output transformers available at Antique Electronic Supply -
http://www.tubesandmore.com/
Jerry

-----Original Message-----
From: Boat Anchor Owners and Collectors List
[mailto:BOATANCHORS at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV]On Behalf Of Richard Post
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 10:43 AM
To: BOATANCHORS at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: Re: Need 8ohm : 5K Audio Transformer

Jim,

Those transformers used to be as common as dirt (actually, they matched the
6V6 to 3.2 ohm out. The 8 ohm speaker is of more recent vintage ). If all
else fails, try a 6 volt transformer, the kind you might find inside a large
power cube or a straight filament transformer. The best match for 5K to 8
ohm impedance is a 25 to 1 voltage ratio. If you chance upon a 5 volt unit,
so much the better. Center tapped 6.3 volt filament transformrs are great
since the center tap gives you a choice of impedance match. Get one that
will handle an amp and you will have plenty of capability. Your 6V6 will be
happy.

The hi-fi purists will jump all over this suggestion, but will be unable to
tell the difference in an objective double-blind study.

73 de Rich
Boatanchor Pix website - KB8TAD
<http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~postr/bapix/>

http://www.tempe.gov/lists/control.asp?list=BOATANCHORS