Solid State I.F. Amplifer Replaces a tube?

Edward Greeley etgreeley at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Wed May 15 23:33:30 EDT 2002

Hey Pirate - take another look at the contract date on your item - 1952!
Look at the pack date - March 1953! There weren't any solid-state,
plug-in replacements for ANYTHING in those days. What you have is an
entire IF stage, including the sub-mini TUBE, the tuned inductors, and
the various resistors and caps to support the stage. Think of it as a
very early "integrated circuit." IIRC, the unit was used in the
AN/PRC-8/9/10 "breaky backy" walkie-talkie radio sets of Korean War
vintage.

Ed Greeley
Korean War vintage SigC instructor