National NC 300 information

Gary Schafer garyschafer at ATTBI.COM
Tue Nov 19 09:44:11 EST 2002

I am not particularly familiar with the NC300 or 303 but found out from a home
brew receiver I built several (many) years ago about product detector levels.

This is one of those items that gets drug out every few years to be improved upon.
For a long time I had too much IF drive to the product detector and did not
realize it. I did extensive work with amplified avc to try and clean up the audio.
I finally found that I had too large of a coupling capacitor from the IF to the
product detector. It would get over driven easily.

I would suspect that those National receivers could use some help in this area.
One of the problems on most of the old receivers was that the BFO would be picked
up by some of the IF amplifiers when the IF gain was up to maximum. If that
happens then the AVC will never function properly.

If you can do a little shielding or lead re routing to keep the BFO out of the IF
(easily checked by watching if the S meter goes up when the BFO is turned on) then
you can increase the time constant on the AVC line to make a satisfactory avc.

The next thing is to try and reduce the IF level into the product detector and or
increase the BFO level into the product detector. Decreasing the IF level into the
product detector can be as simple as decreasing the size of the coupling
capacitor.

There are probably many articles on doing those sort of things. Probably the late
50's early 60's CQ magazines will have those kinds of things.

73
Gary  K4FMX