Protecting a Wirebrushed Chassis & Refreshing White Lettering

Colburn kd4e at ARRL.NET
Wed Jun 25 23:06:21 EDT 2003

I had to use a somewhat fine wirebrush to get the stuck-on oily dust and
dirt off sections of the topside of the chassis of my Morrow MBR-5
receiver (I didn't want to risk cleaning solutions in there).

What would folks recommend I treat the metal with that would prevent
oxidation where I may have violated whatever treatment Mr. Morrow
originally put on the steel?  (I am thinking of using a non-abrasive
metal polish with a q-tip.)

Also, I'd like to freshen up the white lettering on the faceplate.  I am
afraid to use any liquids, even water, for fear I may wash the existing
lettering away.  Anyone know if it is as water soluble as the band
markings on the glass window?  (I am thinking of using a white-out
liquid pencil over the top of the existing faded white.)

I was excited to find a matching hammered finish silver spray paint at
Lowe's today -- second coat Friday morning and the outer case will look
like new!

Thanks! & 73, doc kd4e