FS: Simpson 260 VOM (OLD)

Bob And Bettina Groh rgroh at SWBELL.NET
Sat May 24 22:57:44 EDT 2003

A good friend who is an avid antique radio collector, ham radio operator
and old time radio-tv repairman wants to slim down his 'stuff' to
accomodate a pending move to a assisted living facility.  And he has
asked me to give him a hand in finding a good home for some of these
items.  The first one is a Simpson 260 VOM - this is quite old and uses
the old 'tip' jacks for the lead connections rather than the banana
jacks used in the later years.

I spent some time taking a look at it and here are my observations:
The BAD news:  the resistance ranges do not work.  The owner said that
the battery leaked and destroyed one of the battery contacts (on the HV
battery).  So there is no HV battery and the top range (of the 3) has no
indication at all.  The bottom 2 R ranges will show continuity but the
resistance readings are totally wrong.  The bottom of the front panel
has cracked at some time in the past and has been epoxied but looks
pretty good.  The carrying strap is NOT the original one. There is a
little paint on one corner of the case.  No meter leads or manual.

The GOOD news: all the other ranges seem to work well (ac, dc voltage
and dc current).  The meter movement itself (bezel, glass, scale, meter
movement) are excellent. I did not check the 10A scales or the 5000 volt
scale. The inside and outside (other than noted above) are nice and
clean and the back case seems to be unbroken..

Overall this would be an excellent parts unit or very useable if the
lack of R is OK (?). Or perhaps you can fix the battery contact or
whatever else is busted.

Pictures are available as well any further information you might want.
 I am asking $20 (shipping and handling included) for this VOM. I will
consider all offers - up or down.  I reserve the right to decline all
offers.  However if I accept an offer and the buyer doesn't like the
meter when it gets it, I will refund his money (minus my postage cost)
when the meter is returned to me in the same condition as I shipped it.

Thanks for the bandwidth.  Please email me privately if you are interested.

73
Bob Groh, WA2CKY
420 NE Sunview Circle
Blue Springs, MO. 64014