Preferred Rig SB-101 or SR-150?

Rinkie & Ron Pollack rinkies at ADELPHIA.NET
Thu Apr 1 23:59:57 EST 2004

Another consideration might be the availability of parts and service help &
advice.  There are thousands of SB101s out there, and an active Heathkit
list, and many rigs being parted out.  I've never looked much for Halli
parts or advice, but I'd bet that there is a lot more available for Heath
products.  In addition, there are loads of accessories and mods, which may
not be as plentiful for the Hallicrafters.

On the other hand, Halli was factory built with excellent quality.  The
assembly quality of the Heathkit may be questionable.

I have about 40 Heathkits, and use them on the air, from AT1 to DX20 to
SB303/401 and HW101, among others.  Have always been pleased.
For what it's worth!

Ron K2RP

-----Original Message-----
From: Boat Anchor Owners and Collectors List
[mailto:BOATANCHORS at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV]On Behalf Of edoc
Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2004 8:29 PM
To: BOATANCHORS at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: Preferred Rig SB-101 or SR-150?

Is there any substantive reason to choose a
Hallicrafters SR-150 over a Heath SB101?

Both get solid reviews on the Internet.

The Halli uses 12DQ6B finals, the Heath 6146's.

I have some 6146's and have run rigs with them in
the past.  I think they generally sell for $20.
each.

The 12DQ6B is a sweep tube but seems to be commonly
available and runs $4. - $9. from a quick Google
search.

I am guessing that the 6146 is more rugged than the
sweep tube and there does not seem to be a significant
design power output difference between the rigs.

Anything else I should consider other than the finals?

--
Thanks! & 73, doc kd4e
West Central Florida