Hallicrafters HA1 Keyer

Garey Barrell k4oah at MINDSPRING.COM
Mon Apr 12 09:37:43 EDT 2004

Ron -

Have you tried plugging in phones?  The sidetone goes
through "bypass" contacts of this jack, and are subject to
corrosion.  Just plugging and unplugging usually clears this up.

Have you checked for leakage through the pot body or to
chassis?  An ohmmeter from Pin 7 of V-4B to chassis should
read 0 - 2 Megohms as you rotate the shaft.

The circuit works by R27 charging C8 until it reaches approx
65V, at which point the neon bulb "fires" and shorts C8 to
ground.  This generates a negative pulse that cuts off V4B
momentarily, generating a pulse across the primary of
transformer T2 that "rings" and generates a weird looking
pulse that is coupled to the speaker.  The "frequency" heard
is a combination of the R27/C8 time constant, the
transformer and C14.

Check the voltage across the NE-2 bulb.  If it never reaches
~65V, nothings going to happen.  R27 going up in value
and/or leakage through C8 are the two most common failures.
  V-4B should have 150V on the plate, 0 on the grid, and ~4V
on the cathode.  K1 pins 2 & 3 must connect to "key" the
output, which also goes through the Phones jack and through
pins 6 and 7 on the Control Outlet, which must be shorted by
a jumper.

Let us know what you find!

73, Garey - K4OAH
Atlanta