D-104 elements

Garey Barrell k4oah at MINDSPRING.COM
Thu Jan 29 15:39:23 EST 2004

Perhaps this has been mentioned and I missed it, but ...

There were at least two types of mic elements used in the D-104 microphones.

The original was a "Rochelle Salt" crystal.  These are alleged to be the "best
sounding", but being literally a crystalline salt, it is subject to
deterioration from heat and especially moisture.

The "newer" element was ceramic, which was MUCH more rugged, but didn't have the
sound characteristics of the original.  (Is it just me, or is this beginning to
sound like "oxygen free copper wire"?

Anyway, I  _think_  MC-320 was the real "crystal" cartridge.  Someone told me
that the ceramic element was used in the 10DA microphone as well.  Maybe someone
on here has more complete information on this?  Or knows that I am all wet?

73, Garey - K4OAH
Atlanta