D104/Electret Mike

StuLyon s.d.lyon at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu Jan 29 19:26:25 EST 2004

Jerry,
If you're back from R/S, I hope you picked up a 270-90 electret, some foam
and two 5.1K resistors. The links document how I mounted the RadioShack mike
into a D104 head.

Fig 1 http://home.earthlink.net/~s.d.lyon/images/D104/D104_1.JPG
Fig 2 http://home.earthlink.net/~s.d.lyon/images/D104/d104_2.JPG
I used three 1/4" conductive foam circles cut to the inside dia of the D104
head. The front foam has about a 1-1/4" hole in its center. The center foam
has a tight-fit hole for the electret. The back foam has no hole. This
sandwich is squashed into the 104 head. Use the existing breath filter.
RG174 co-ax connects the mike to the header plug. Tape over the mike
terminals. I used conductive foam because I had it -- none-conductive foam
will probably work.

Fig 3 http://home.earthlink.net/~s.d.lyon/images/D104/d104_3.JPG
On the amplifier end, I connected a 5.1K resistor between the mike lead and
gnd and a second 5.1K between the mike lead and +9volts. This provides a
2.6K pull-up for the mike to a 4.5volt power supply. I used the existing
pre-amp although I could have jumped as well -- the electret has low enough
Zout to drive anything.

I used this mike for awhile but ended up with a couple working D104s as
payment for a repair job and went back to using them.

73, Stu W6CUX
Winnetka, CA
s.d.lyon at earthlink.net

Fig 2