Who uses 'em?

Larry Knapp kc8jx at YAHOO.COM
Mon Nov 8 16:47:24 EST 2004

Ron - Congratulations on your 20 QSO's in the latest SS using your
boatanchors...I got in a few contacts also using my Drake B-Line and Drake
2NT/2C.  Somewhat tough on the latter, when using only crystal control.

You might look at this link...it shows some frequencies and such that many of
us frequent.  As has already been said, the two Classic Exchange weekends in
September and February really bring out the CW operators, especially; I wish
there were more AM and SSB operation in them.

http://www.virhistory.com/ham/rrab/air.htm

You will find many vintage CW operators hanging around 7.040 - 7.050 most
nights...remember some of us use crystal controlled transmitters...of course
there are many vintage nets too.  There is quite a bit of vintage activity in
the USA and starting to really take hold around the world.  A lot of
information is contained in Electric Radio.  This publication is a must for
vintage radio lovers.

73, Larry KC8JX

--- Jerry Forwood <e.j.forwood at JUNO.COM> wrote:

> You can hear lots of them on the air every week on the nets. ie: Heathkit
> net, Vintage Sideband Net, Hallicrafters Net, Collins Net, Swan Net, Drake
> Net, and others I do not regularly check in to.
> 73 de Jerry, KØEJF E.J.(Jerry) Forwood
>
> -- Rinkie & Ron Pollack <rinkies at ADELPHIA.NET> wrote:
> I've been "lurking" on this list for a while, and got to wondering-How many
> of us actually put this old gear on the air?
>
> I like to try them out during contests, as there is a lot of activity on
> several bands, and you can tell how everything performs.
>
> Just spent an hour during the cw sweepstakes and made about 20 QSOs on 40
> and 80 using the following:
>
> HQ170/DX20/VF1/HA1/AM2 (SWR Bridge)/Johnson Matchbox/Dow Key
> Relay/Vibrokeyer to a dipole.
>
> Except for the wire in the dipole, I believe all of it was made before 1960.
>
> It sure is not as efficient as a ricebox, but I think that the receiver is
> as good as any!
>
> Can e mail a picture of the setup if anyone's interested!
>
> Ron K2RP

Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
www.yahoo.com