[Boatanchors] Receiver WTB

Bob Peters rwpeters at SWBELL.NET
Mon Dec 26 17:23:11 EST 2005

Okkk Jim open mouth and insert foot...I have had very favorable
Luck with a number other the the SX28...I have a SX101 that is hotter
then a firecracker but get your weight belt on...Also the SX115...Great
receiver....Most of the others are crap..

Bob W1PE

-----Original Message-----
From: boatanchors-bounces at mailman.qth.net
[mailto:boatanchors-bounces at mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Jim Wilhite
Sent: Monday, December 26, 2005 12:54 PM
To: boatanchors at mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Boatanchors] Receiver WTB

I am risking my life saying this in the open, but I have not had good
luck
with any of the Hallicrafters receivers but the SX 28 that I spent hours

restoring.  No only that but the 28 is huge and weighs almost as much as
DX 100.   The SX 100 was mechanically unstable, especially on the upper
bands and the audio left a lot to be desired for me.

The HQ 140X that I have is a much better receiver from an audio
standpoint
and I like it very much.  In addition to the crystal filter, I have a Q
multiplier installed in line and it does a very good job.  Even though
the
front panel is flimsy the chassis is better than the Halli comparable.
had a HQ 100 and 110 and they are nice for the low end price, but
overall
they did not perform as I wanted on all modes, SSB,  CW and AM.  If you
go
with many of the HQ series receivers, be sure the slugs for the IF and
antenna coils are there, not broken and free to turn.  There are a lot
of
sad stories about receiver coils sans the slug.

Spend quite a bit of time finding any old receiver, unless you enjoy
many
hours of restoration.  My HQ 140X looks like new under the hood.  I
changed
the electrolytics in the power supply and the one on the audio cathode
bypass, that is all.

Just don't get in a rush to buy something until the best looking one
comes
along,  no matter what you buy.

73  Jim
W5JO