"Different" 6146

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jul 26 13:22:04 EDT 2005

Although I have seen various versions of the 6146
family of tubes, I ran into a couple yesterday that I
have not seen before.  I am working on a transceiver
that has problems in the final amplifier so I "pulled"
the tubes.

These tubes are marked "made in USA" but have no other
identifying marks on them except the letters FADF.  It
took me a few seconds, but if you take the letters and
change them to their equivalent numbers, then the
tubes are marked.

A = 1
B = 2
C = 3
D = 4
E = 5
F = 6

and so on.  Therefore, FADF = 6146

The internal structure looks pretty much like most
6146 family of tubes.  However, this particular pair
of tubes is pretty unstable (like 6146B tubes can be
in circuits designed for the 6146 / 6146A / 8298).

I am pretty familar with various versions of the 6146.
 However, this particular version had escaped me until
now.

Glen, K9STH

Web sites

http://home.comcast.net/~k9sth