Old cold solder joints

Jim Simmons orion at DATASYNC.COM
Sun Nov 13 17:01:13 EST 2005

Ron,
Having had no experience with lead-free solder I can't testify as to its
aging properties; however, being about the same age as your Clough-Brengle
transmitter (70 years) And being in electronics about that long as a
maintenance technician, builder and always a student I can tell you that all
current carrying conductors will become brittle after a few years of
performing their assigned duties.  I believe this is because of the constant
movement and agitation of electrons within the conductor.  Copper wires and
connectors are especially prone to this condition.  Wires become brittle to
the point of where they will snap if moved and connections will corrode and
become more like semi-conductors than conductors.  The diode like action of
the connectors is a prime source of noise and radiation that will affect
everything around them because they act as mixers (heterodyne effect) to the
signals they carry. These symptoms vary from "It just ain't quite right" to
total failure and cause much pulling of the hair.  I would venture to guess
that about 80% of the problems with old equipment can be attributed to this.

The problems you mentioned are all in the high current portion of your
transmitter (plate and antenna circuits).  And seeing the pictures of the
damage it has suffered, it must have gotten quite a few sharp and sudden
jolts in its travels to your doorstep.  Therefore, it doesn't surprise me
that the wires and the solder joints have failed.

I know of no way to "age" solder joints, so it would seem to boil down to
whether you want the transmitter working with shiny joints or not working
with all the old corroded joints.  Personally, I would prefer it to be
restored to working condition.  Just be very careful when moving the wires
around while repairing it because they will be brittle.

73 Jim N5MSJ