Sansui tube amp/tuner transformers

John Kolb jlkolb at JLKOLB.CTS.COM
Sun Aug 6 00:53:22 EDT 2006

Unless my memory is seriously rearranged (not completely unlikely), the model I
bought about 1965o or 66 was the 1000A. Probably very similar to the 1000.

It should be possible to determine most of the transformer characteristics with
a multimeter.  The primary will have 3 , or 5 in some cases with an
ultralinear design,
leads with continuity between them, and they will be high enough
enough in resistance
to easily seperate them from the secondary windings and to determine
which of the
3 or 5 leads is the center tap. (pretty sure the 1000A was NOT ultralinear).

The secondary wires will probably be common, 4, 8 and 16 ohms, and
can be determined
which is which with a very high resolution ohmmeter. Or, connect a
low AC voltage across
two of the secondary wires and measure the AC voltage between each of
the leads and all
other secondary wires to determine the ratios between taps. NOTE THAT
HAZARDOUS
VOLTAGES WILL BE PRESENT ON THE PRIMARY LEADS WHEN DRIVING THE
SECONDARY WINDINGS.

Then connect the low voltage AC signal across the highest output pair
of secondary windings,
and measure the both the AC voltage applied to the secondary winding
and the AC voltage
developed between the primary center tap and one of the two plate
leads. NOTE THAT
HAZARDOUS VOLTAGES WILL BE PRESENT ON THE PRIMARY LEADS WHEN DRIVING
THE SECONDARY WINDINGS.

Calculate the voltage stepup ratio between the secondary and primary
windings, and  assume
that the secondary winding driven is 16 ohms. The primary impedance
should then be the
voltage steppup ratio squared times 16.  Someone correct me if this
sounds wrong.

American audio transformers generally will follow the RMA standard
color codes, but all examples
I found on line don't seem to apply exactly to output transformers.
The primarys usually will be
red for CT, and blue or brown for plate connections.
http://www.radioremembered.org/outimp.htm
Don't know if Japanese transformers will follow the color code or
not, but it's a reasonable starting
point to make sure the ohmmeter tests verify identity.

John

At 07:16 AM 8/5/2006, Alex [Temple Boatanchors] wrote:

>Hi Richard,
>
>To my knowledge Sansui only made one tube integrated amplifier, the
>Model 1000. I searched ebay and found this auction (I have no
>connection to it), as a reference take a look at the pictures and
>compare it to your own unit.
>
>Hope that helps you a bit.
>
>-Alex
>
>At 12:05 AM 8/5/2006, you wrote: