REBUILDING JOHNSON & other gear

Dee C. Almquist w4pnt at HIGHSPEEDLINK.NET
Thu Aug 31 08:52:51 EDT 2006

Dear AM'rs
  I rarely make suggestions but.... ANYONE overhauling BA's should keep in mind, these rigs are many years old. And even though the capacitors look ok is being mislead & lots of frustration. My shop policy is (especially Johnson) CHANGE OUT ALL CERAMIC BYPASS CAPS & check every resistor for value. This shotgun method has saved me time & added to customer satisfaction on every Ranger & Valiant (same w/ other gear) that I restore. It pains me to read of a fellow Anchorite ready to dump his set due to repeated failure because of assuming "the rest" of one time quality parts are ok, then comes another failure, etc. There is nothing better to do in restoration but to assume NO cap or resistor is good after all the yrs since it was new. Its time consuming but worth the effort.... & un-needed frustration.

  Warm 73 to all
  Dee