OT: New ham Ticket

paul hendershott pjhender2002 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Dec 17 21:49:12 EST 2006

Hi Folks - I haven't paid as much attention as I should have this year to all the Rule changes made by the FCC. I am aware of the FCC dropping the CW requirement and the re-allocation of the Band Plan. What I want to find out is are there "study materials" (TECH through General) available from the ARRL or other places that are up to date?

   I am encouraging my father (74 yr old retired E. E.) to get his ticket so we can have some fun on the bands and keep in touch between Chicago and Philly as the bands improve. I think he would have done it about 6 years ago when I got back into the hobby, but the prospect of the CW requirement held him back. He'll be a great addition to our ranks and I want to make sure i get him the "correct" licensing materials to get started as a Christmas present. Thanks for your input! Paul w9bbr