CW controversy

Tom Norris r390a at BELLSOUTH.NET
Thu Dec 21 10:10:53 EST 2006

On Dec 21, 2006, at 7:18 AM, Greg Gore; WA1KBQ wrote:

> The expected result of dumbing down Amateur Radio? Perhaps this is
> driven  by
> the equipment manufacturers who might be a strong enough lobby to
> get what
> they want. Must not be enough dedicated techno type folks
> interested in the
> hobby anymore so being bottom line driven they turn to folks who
> would be
> willing to pursue an easy licence for the privilege of buying a
> new  rice box which
> will then become another annoying nuisance we have to deal  with.
>
> Greg

Wasn't the "equipment gear lobby" conspiracy used as the reason for
both incentive licensing and the discontinuation of the renewable
Novice license?

When I was studying for my ticket back in the 70's many of the folks
in my club at the time had no clue how to repair their rigs and had
been licensed for years.  I was one of the few that built things, and
this was a fairly large club. Did they have "riceboxes"?  Some did,
many had Collins, Drake and TenTec radios.

The two things I seem to hear in this current cw debate are
RICEBOXES  and 'THE DUMBING DOWN OF HAM RADIO'  All radios aren't
made in Japan, even today.  And back then a number of the same hams I
mentioned above didn't have a clue how to build a coax jumper.

As far as the elimination of CW as a requirement, folks that love to
use it will still use it, and folks that hate it and never use it
won't.  New folks that want to use it will still be able to learn and
operate CW. It not going to be FORBIDDEN and large shadowy men aren't
going to bust down your doors in the middle of the night, shoot your
dog and confiscate all the existing keys, bugs and keyers!!

Will it create chaos on the bands?  Do you guys that are screaming
about "oh no! This new regulation will create A Nation of CBers.
Whatever shall we do?  Let us all scream, yell and jump up and down
and rend our clothing"   Not sure if I have the only radio that hears
it, but most of the malicious QRM, drunken rants, tuning up on freq,
fights over who "owns" a certain frequency, etc seems to come from
hams that have had tickets for years.   I've about given up trying to
restore some vintage AM gear because whenever I listen to AM on 75 or
40 I hear folks on SSB making noises or tuning up a KHz away simply
because they hate AM!  THE IDIOTS AND TREECLIMBERS ARE HERE NOW,
THEY'VE BEEN THERE FOR DECADES, MOST HAVE BEEN LICENSED FOR DECADES
AND CW DIDN'T KEEP THEM OUT!!

The End of Spark was The Death of Ham Radio.  AM Phone was The Death
of Ham Radio.  SSB was The Death of Ham Radio.  Incentive Licensing
was The Death of Ham Radio.  Allowing RTTY on the bands was The Death
of Ham Radio.  Two Meters going from AM to FM was The Death of Ham
Radio.  Packet was The Death of Ham Radio.  Giving Techs Novice and
Ten Meter privileges was The Death of Ham Radio.

AMATEUR RADIO WILL DIE EVENTUALLY, BUT IF FOLKS *GIVE UP* EVERY TIME
SOME  SORT OF *CHANGE* HAPPENS IT'LL DIE THAT MUCH MORE QUICKLY!!

I think I need a drink now.... heehee

Best 73 and hope everyone has a very merry, relaxed and blessed
Christmas

Tom NU4G