[Boatanchors] RME 6900 users?

w7fe w7fe at COX.NET
Thu Jan 5 22:29:24 EST 2006

Hi Glen,

Well, I must have more work to do.  Mine overloads easily and produces
distorted audio on strong signals.  Now, there's no AGC provided to the RF
Amplifier in this circuit (correct?), but do you find it necessary to "ride"
the RF gain on SSB to avoid audio distortion?

All the electrolytics were been replaced (nicely) by the guy I bought it
from. That's as far as he went, however, except for doing a very nice
repaint of the cabinet (although the cabinet has been "sprung" such that it
doesn't sit level--I'm still mentally designing the fixture necessary to
straighten it) and spraying the knobs with some kind of a lacquer which
attached the bakelite, leaving a very rough finish.  I'm looking for a new
set of knobs, by the way....

I have disassembled and repaired the mashed 57KC IF coils which sit at the
rear of the IF "doghouse" (someone apparently let it rest on the slug screws
while working on the underside and put enough pressure on it to mash the
coils down into the cans, crushing the micarta tubes...no damage to the
slugs or windings, though, and "Goop" came to the rescue to repair and
straighten up the tubes).

I reassembled and properly set the mechanical dial stops, tightened the
loose tuning shaft couplers and slightly end-loaded the shaft to correct the
majority of the backlash, and did a full IF and RF alignment including
calibration of each band to well within the dial adjustment range (rather
time-consuming).

I have not yet done all of the resistance checks or done any poking around
with the scope...I guess that's next.  Based on your comments, I think it
can be made to sound better than it does.

Stu