[Boatanchors] RME 6900 users?

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jan 6 00:34:00 EST 2006

The one that I have doesn't require any "riding" of
the gain and, as I pointed out before, the receiver
has excellent audio.

I don't know if you have seen the advertisements from
the 1959 time frame where it was said that Larry
LeKashman, W9IOP (also held W8IOP and W2IOP as
additional station licenses), used the RME-6900 in
setting a new record in the ARRL CW Sweepstakes for
1958.  W9IOP lived about 26 miles from my parents
house (he was in South Bend, Indiana, and I was in
LaPorte, Indiana).

Harold Brooks, W9VW, lived about a mile from my
parents house and he used to go over and operate W9IOP
all of the time.  He told me about the RME-6900 and
the Sweepstakes contest.

At the time LeKashman was the Vice-President of
RME-Electro Voice in Buchanan, Michigan (just over the
state line from South Bend).  Supposedly RME-6900
serial number 1 was finished like 3 hours before the
Sweepstakes began.  Larry brought the receiver home
and used it during the CW Sweepstakes.

According to W9VW (and I have heard the same "story"
from other amateur radio operators who knew W9IOP)
Larry did use the receiver during the contest.  He
used it as his keying monitor.  A Collins 75A4 was the
receiver that was used for the actual receiving during
the contest.  Now the advertisement stated that W9IOP
used the receiver for the contest.  However, it did
not state just what task the receiver was used.  The
advertisement "implied" that the RME-6900 was "the"
primary receiver but did not actually state this to be
a fact.  Therefore, the advertisement was "misleading"
but was truthful in the fact that the receiver was
used during the contest.  For what purpose was not
"spelled out".

I believe that one of the reasons that the RME-6900
has such excellent quality audio is the fact that
Electro Voice was involved in some very "high end"
microphones and hi-fi equipment during the time that
the receiver was designed.

Now I use a "generic" 8 ohm hi-fi speaker on my
RME-6900.  I would like to have the matching RME-6901
speaker but those are pretty scarce and I really
cannot justify what one costs these days.

I uploaded the manual on the RME-6900 to BAMA quite a
while back.

Glen, K9STH

--- w7fe <w7fe at COX.NET> wrote:

Mine overloads easily and produces distorted audio on
strong signals.  Now, there's no AGC provided to the
RF Amplifier in this circuit (correct?), but do you
find it necessary to "ride" the RF gain on SSB to
avoid audio distortion?

Glen, K9STH

Web sites

http://home.comcast.net/~k9sth