Tweaking a Boatanchor Receiver?

Bob And Bettina Groh rgroh at SWBELL.NET
Mon Jan 16 11:50:19 EST 2006

Wow, that is a series of somewhat open ended questions. I don't have
specifics but I can offer my opinion based on 40+ years of designing
communications equipment (all solid state) plus 50+ years of mucking
about with ham gear.

1.   The term 'hot' is perhaps a bit of hyperbole on the part of the
seller. Or just an indication that it is not 'dead' or 'not really
insensitive'.

Now the technical stuff:
2.    Most tube type rigs have more sensitivity than they can use (at
least on most bands 20M and lower).

3.   A receiver's sensitivity is a measure of it's overall noise figure.
The overall noise figure is a product of the individual gains and noise
figures of each of the stages up to the final detector (although the
noise figure is usually pretty well determined in the first few stages,
e.g. RF amplifier and 1st mixer).

4.   Usually increasing the gain in the front end is the biggest factor
in improving the noise figure.  Also decreasing the noise figure of the
front end usually helps.  What this means is a tube substitution might
be of advantage.

5.   Unfortunately everything has a cost!  In this case, increasing gain
may (probably) lead to poorer strong signal performance (a bigger
problem today than back in the 'old days). A different tube may have
different gain control characteristics so that the AGC may be adversely
affected.  Etc, etc.

6.   Also the inherent external noise levels on most frequencies below
20 MHz or so are greater than any reasonable receiver's internal noise.
So you may not see much improvement (if any).

Well, that is just a rough outline. The other folks on the list will be
able to add to this as well as add specific information relative to
specific receivers. There was an article or series of articles some time
ago where someone measured a wide variety of representative radios (the
Drake radio's were one of them, I think) relative to sensitivity, noise
figure, intermod, etc.  I probably have that around here someplace or
maybe someone else can contribute some web references.

73 de WA2CKY
Bob Groh