SSB ops clear down to 7000 kHz on 40m, Grrrr

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jan 20 12:07:20 EST 2006

That is exactly what has to be done in many cases.
Turn off the preamp, turn off the AVC/AGC, run the
audio gain control up, and use the r.f. gain control
as the volume control.  This also works on SSB when
the band is crowded.  Most of the problems with
interference are generated in the receiver and not the
result of the other stations transmitters.

It isn't what the "S" meter reads but what the signal
to noise ratio of the signal is that determines how
well a signal can be copied.  It is most certainly
possible for a signal to not even move the "S" meter
yet be perfect copy yet for a signal to be reading "40
over" and not being able to be copied.

As for the problem with SSB in the portion in which CW
/ data are the only emission allowed in the United
States, the problem is that Regions I and III have
much smaller allocations and the stations operating in
those regions have to use SSB in "our" CW bands.

Glen, K9STH

--- Bill Evans <bevans at ebsys.mb.ca> wrote:

Regardless of the use of filters, how about the AGC
impact of the strong SSB signal on the CW copy?  May
have to turn off AGC and use the RF gain control.

Glen, K9STH

Web sites

http://home.comcast.net/~k9sth
http://home.comcast.net/~zcomco