Orlando Hamcation Boatachors Lunch

Brian Carling bcarling at CFL.RR.COM
Mon Jan 30 11:44:50 EST 2006

Yeah Scott - don't these guys realize this is a hamfest?
Now - to be fair I see some of them saying they will sell at 65% or
75% of the AES price or the RF Parts Company price etc.
but come ON!  If we want to pay those kinds of prices we will
stay home in the comfort of the easy chair and save on gas,
wear and tear, admission fee, eating out, hotel etc. and just
buy them from one of the many tube discounters on the internet!

I think a fair HAMFEST price for any new tube is $1.00 and maybe
10 cents for a dubious used tube. Beyond that it's whatever the
buyer and seller agree the thing is worth, not what some dealer
decided that the list price should be!

By the way, did you ever see some of the more "commercial"
electronic parts companies' list prices on tubes these days?

Some of them are REALLY funny, but I can't remember where I saw
them  Maybe it was Allied or Newark. I guess they must still have
some late manufactured RCA and G.E. bottles new in boxes.

Some dealer is selling things like 6L6es for $81.00 and 12BY7 for a $28.00
Yeah, I think that is Allied... crazy!  I guess some industrial users or
musicians might pay those kinds of prices! We won't though...