RCA AR-77 or RCAF GR-10 Receiver

David Hollander n7rk at COX.NET
Mon Jul 17 19:34:59 EDT 2006

Picked up a pathetic looking receiver which I though was an AR-77 at
last weekend's hamfest. Turns out to be an RCAF Type GR-10 which appears
to be the same radio. The label under the hood says that it is a GR-10
built at an RCA plant in Montreal. Despite looks, the radio works quite
well after I brought it up on a variac and I am going to restore it.
This receiver is not a hernia generator like the big brother AR-88.

The issues. The cabinet has been painted. I have no idea as to what the
correct color might be. The photos I have found show a two tone gray
with chrome strip dividers and one with strips that go partially across
the front. Mine has no strips of any kind an no holes indicating that
they were once there. Anybody know the color of this radio? My radio
looks like the top one in this photo without the trim strips.

http://www.w9wze.org/Equipment/Photos/ZOther/rca_ar-77.jpg

Here is the two tone version:

http://www.radiomilitari.com/ar77.html

Bigger issue. The S-Meter and the RCA logo that goes right below the
s-meter is missing.

I am probably dreaming but does any one have a parts unit? I need the
logo and the s-meter. Other than those two parts, the radio is complete
and playing. Does anyone know what kind of movement this meter is? The
manual I downloaded just say "s-meter" in the parts list.

Anyone have either of these receivers and have any interesting comments?

I have several 1930's RCA communications/ham receivers and thy are all
very well built and good performers for their time. My understanding is
that they were not that popular as RCA with their licensing at that time
was like Microsoft is today and many simply avoided RCA for that reason.

Thanks in advance for any comments or assistance.

Thanks,

Dave N7RK
Dave  N7RK          Boatanchors Home Page: http://members.cox.net/n7rk
Phoenix, Arizona         *DXCC Honor Roll*    *WAZ#22 - 75 Meter SSB*

ex-XE2/N7RK, N7RK/ZB2, VK2ERK, ZM0AJN, WB6NRK, WN6IWX

Boatanchor and Antique Radio Collector