Atmospheric broadcasting

Steve Byan stevebyan at MAC.COM
Fri Jul 28 10:08:08 EDT 2006

On Jul 27, 2006, at 7:39 PM, Charles Bacon wrote:

> I came across the following announcement today from the New Scientist.
> Wonder what this would do to ham radio?
>

> Atmospheric broadcasting
>
> The layer of the atmosphere known as the ionosphere, at an altitude
> of 50
> kilometres, is already used as a radio reflector, bouncing low
> frequency
> radio signals from one side of the world to the other.
>
> Researchers at Samsung in Korea are now working on a way to turn the
> ionosphere into an antenna. A patent application filed by the company
> reveals plans to direct higher frequencies radio signals, at about 1
> gigahertz, at the ionosphere, to alter its behaviour.
>
> It describes using an Ultra High Frequency (UHF) radio signal, of a
> few
> hundred megahertz, and a carrier signal of around 1 gigahertz. The
> mix would
> be amplified and focused by a dish into a spot beam that hits the
> underside
> of the ionosphere.
>
> The idea is for the GHz carrier signal to be absorbed by the
> atmosphere and
> for the UHF one to alter the temperature of electrons flowing
> through the
> ionosphere. This should create an alternating current within the
> ionosphere
> that can be modulated at a particular frequency. The target spot
> should then
> work as an antenna, radiating the UHF tens of kilometres back down
> to Earth.

Sounds like an application of the Luxemburg Effect.
 From <http://lope.ece.uiuc.edu/history.htm>:

There is a very interesting ionospheric phenomena, the Luxemburg
Effect, that was exploited in the early days of the laboratory and
was a precursor of many perturbation techniques now used in many
fields. Telegren was the person who discovered the effect, namely
that  Radio Luxemburg would heat the electrons in the ionosphere and
thus  transfer the audio envelope on its signal to any wave
traversing that  portion of the ionosphere by modulating the
absorption. Prof. Goldstein  exploited and expanded this phenomena in
the laboratory to identify and  quantify many electron temperature
dependent processes such as e-i recombination, electron-ion collision
frequency, and any other electron  collision process. He used to
microwave signals, the "heating"  wave and the "sensing" wave to
examine these processes in the  decaying portion or "afterglow" of a
pulsed discharge. One of  the unique modifications was to subject the
plasma to a static magnetic  field so that the electrons were in
cyclotron resonance with either  wave. All sorts of nonlinear
phenomena from harmonic generation to  modification of rate processes
could be observed with relatively small  microwave power (Å 200 mW or
less).

 From <http://ion.le.ac.uk/heating/history_of_rf_heating.html>:

The Luxembourg effect

In the early 1930s a high power radio broadcasting station was built
in Luxembourg. Tellegen (1933) reported that the modulation of the
Luxembourg station could be heard in the background of a programme
transmitted from Beromunster and received at Eindhoven. Soon after,
Bailey and Martyn (1934) suggested that the effect was caused by the
powerful Luxembourg transmitter modifying the radio propagation
characteristics of the ionosphere. When the Beromunster signal passed
through this region its propagation was affected by the modified
ionospheric conditions, and in this way amplitude modulation from the
Luxembourg signal was transferred to the Beromunster signal.

  The ionosphere as a plasma laboratory

The Luxembourg effect became known as cross-modulation, and
scientists began to explore the possibilities of utilising high power
radio waves in controlled ionospheric experiments. This was the
beginning of employing modification of the ionosphere to complement
plasma experiments in the laboratory. Bailey and Goldstein were among
the first to suggest this, when in 1958 they suggested the use of
radio waves near the electron gyrofrequency to control electron
temperatures. Many other experiments were suggested, for example,
Ginzburg and Gurevich (1960) suggested modification of the F-region
ionosphere.

--
Steve Byan <stevebyan at mac.com>
Littleton, MA 01460