Help ID'ing Homebrew Amp.

Larry Kirkland lkirkland at SC.RR.COM
Sun May 28 07:09:52 EDT 2006

I remember from the "old days" a construction project where you modified
the base of 1625 tubes to allow grounded grid operation.  I think you
had to cut the wire from the suppressor grid to the cathode.  They are 7
pin and were cathode driven.

The voltage sounds too high for 1625's, though.  You could get away with
1000 volts on the plates if you had plenty of spare 1625's.  They were
plentiful, because they were used in the popular ARC-5 series of army
surplus transmitters.  Check and see if the filament transformers were
12 volts.  Also, two of the 7 pins were slightly larger than the other 5.

73's
Larry W4LK