Dow Key relay chatter problems

Mike Langner mlangner at SWCP.COM
Sun Oct 1 17:19:16 EDT 2006

Hello George and Rick -- and the list !

Don't throw away those relays !  You probably don't need to rewind that coil
(unless it has shorted windings) !!

Here's a trick from aretired old broadcast engineer as well as from a 50
year amateur op --

Put a diode in series with it -- and it'll probably shut up.  If it still
chatters, try just a few microfarads of capacity -- you don't want too much
capacity or you'll create a time-delay circuit.  The coil will act as a
choke to the pulsating DC -- a little capacity, if needed, will damp out the
remaining chatter.

If you can't get the chatter to quit without so much capacity that you get
an unwanted time-delay circuit, use 4 diodes in a bridge -- then you'll have
120 Hz pulsating DC instead of 60 Hz pulsating DC. The 120 Hz will be less
likely to chatter and if any capacitance is required, it'll take less of it.

Do check coil temperature after it's been on for a while to make sure you're
not over-dissipating the coil -- most AC relays work well on significantly
less DC, and when operated on pulsating DC, the voltage to use tends to be
typically 79 to 80% of the AC RMS voltage -- your mileage may vary.

We used to use this trick with "chattering contactors" in broadcast
transmitters as well as when we had to run AC relays on DC.

It always worked like a charm !

Mike/
K5MGR
_____