Using the PRC-74 as a back-pack radio set

Richard Arland, W3OSS richard.arland at VERIZON.NET
Sat Sep 9 11:59:38 EDT 2006

My plan is to adapt the 74Bravo that I have to an ALICE pack using the
equipment shelf. Is there a set of straps that is made specifically for
strapping a radio set to this pack or am I going to have to kluge something
together in OD?

Antennas: The side chassis mount for the whip antenna for the PRC-74 is a
bit flimsy for this kind of operation. My fallback was to use a Hamstick for
20 or 17 meters and adapt it via a mirror mount (Rat Shack) to the ALICE
frame. Anyone ever done this before? If so, does it work or do I need to
rethink the entire process.

My goal is to get this thing ready for Veteran's Day and make contacts from
the parade route in Wilkes-Barre, PA.

Any help would be appreciated.

73 Rich Arland, W3OSS
MSgt, USAF, Ret.