Drake TR-7 question

Garey Barrell k4oah at MINDSPRING.COM
Fri Sep 22 09:22:54 EDT 2006

George -

It's strictly a guess, but I would guess around 7500. I've seen quite a
few TR-7s, and so far I've not run into one below 7500 that had the
Version 2, 2nd IF/Audio board.

It's pretty easy to spot if you can see inside the card cage. The
Version 1 has four "aluminum" IF cans along the top edge. Looking down
from the front of the transceiver the Version 1 has a square, black
transformer at the far right. Version 2 has an IC (MC1496) there. Easy
to spot even in a small photo.

Someone has modified a Version 1 with a small "daughter" board mounted
in that corner holding the MC1496 and a very few components. There are a
couple of changes needed on the PassBand Tuning board to adjust the BFO
level.

Another one has replaced the active mixer with a DBM, again bumping up
the LO (BFO) level to compensate. Even simpler to implement.

Personally, I've never been able to tell any significant difference
between the two boards by listening to the receiver. The signal level is
held constant by the AGC, so any dynamic range advantages of either
"alternative" detector are not realized, and the discrete mixer does a
reasonable job of suppressing the LO feedthrough. I doubt anyone could
tell you which board was in a transceiver by just listening to the receiver.

73, Garey - K4OAH
Atlanta

Drake 2-B, 4-B & C-Line Service CDs
<www.k4oah.com>