[FLBOATANCHORS] OT: Army MARS & Computers

RAY FRIESS rayfrijr at MSN.COM
Sat Aug 4 13:05:56 EDT 2007

Richard:
As a MARS member myself, I would offer this advice.
If you are upgrading for the ham bands and would do that anyhow even if you weren't a member of MARS, then go ahead and go for it.

IF you are upgrading solely because you have joined MARS, I would advise you to not go to any great effort or worry.  The reason being that MARS currently has no viable mission warranting the time or expense to go to digital modes if youre not already digital or going digital for use in the ham bands.

There are quite a few members who have refused to go digital just for MARS use because there is nothing going on and no mission that MARS has that warrants it.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Richard Arland, W3OSS<about:blank>
  To: mrca at mailman.qth.net<about:blank> ; milsurplus at mailman.qth.net<about:blank> ; milpack at yahoogroups.com<about:blank> ; BOATANCHORS at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV<about:blank> ; Boatanchor Flordia<about:blank> ; armyradios at egroups.com<about:blank>
  Sent: Friday, August 03, 2007 9:18 PM
  Subject: [FLBOATANCHORS] OT: Army MARS & Computers

  I recently joined Army MARS and I want to expand my comm capabilities.

  My truck has HF/V/UHF capability. All modes including data. My problem is I
  need a small (as in s-m-a-l-l ) laptop that uses 12-14V DC as opposed to
  these exotic 19, 21, 24 VDC models. I need to power it directly from the
  truck's battery supply. It doesn't have to be a Pentium machine but at least
  an old 486 DX100 would be nice.