[FLBOATANCHORS] OT: Army MARS & Computers

Steve Scoggins ke7rr at QUARKED.COM
Sun Aug 5 23:26:10 EDT 2007

Hello Richard Arland, W3OSS Surplus laptops will work fine for use with the
digital modes.  I bought a used DELL laptop from an online auction site for
use with the digital modes. The DELL laptops are tough and hold up well in
the field.  The Panasonic Toughbook is very rugged but a bit heavy and
large. We used it for handing over 1200 emergency email messages for the IHS
medical teams deployed across the country of Honduras.  Note using voice to
transfer this amount of traffic via would have been very difficult. If you
have more questions about digital modes contact me via email I would be glad
to answer your questions. There are some photos of the IHS ham radio setup
are on the following website. http://quarked.com/ngallery On the IHS medical
trips we use Airmail with an Icom 706MKIIG or the IC-7000. In response to
MARS endorsement and use of Digital modes please reference the message
below. 73 Steve (KE7RR)
-----Original Message-----
From: Hennigan, Joe
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2007 11:13 AM
To: Chief, Army MARS

Subject: The Department of Homeland Security Sponsorship of Winlink 2000 for
the Military Affiliate Radio System.

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Operations Coordination
Directorate (OPS) has made great strides over the last 3 months in support
of the Military Affiliate Radio System (MARS).  In cooperation with Army
MARS, and DHS Transportation Security Agency, DHS Operations Coordination
Directorate (OC) has installed a WinLink 2000 system, to include hosting one
of four redundant, mirror image, Common Message Server (CMS) Hubs, a Radio
Message Server (RMS,) and end-user client applications for HF Operations.
WinLink 2000 is a COTS application suite, allowing users the ability to
extend an e-mail capability and GPS Positioning data between an HF Radio and
the internet. DHS has the capability to literally pass data from anywhere in
the world, no matter how austere.  DHS is one of many Government Agencies
with HF radio capabilities, but this particular solution provides DHS with a
unique set of extended capabilities.

The WinLink 2000 system consists of many different components, making it
very stable and reliable in times of need.  WinLink 2000 is utilized by many
Emergency Response Agencies, including the Department of Defense (DoD).  The
MARS Winlink 2000 radio messaging system can both be contacted through this
application via conventional HF/VHF/UHF radio communications, or via
standard e-mail through the MARS Winlink 2000 radio e-mail system, to any
number of operators throughout the world to get messages promptly delivered
where normal standard e-mail does not exist.  This is critical to any
emergency response requirement.

This capability is proof positive of the DHS's commitment to enhancing
emergency communications.

Best regards,

Joe Hennigan,
Director, Technology Support