Hallicrafters S-108 IF transformer

Eric Lawson elawson at INFICAD.COM
Sun Dec 2 17:06:26 EST 2007

I got a S-108 the other day and its IF transformer (T2) has a primary to
secondary short.  The number on the side of the can is 050-300243.

It looks like the capacitor assembly that is built into the bottom of the
assembly has shorted and I don't see an easy way to fix it...the
transformer's pins go directly into the capacitor.

Does anyone have one of these IF transformers?

After several moves, I don't even have any IF transformers from AM
broadcast table radios that I could try, so I'll ask.  Is there anything
special about these IF transformers (selectivity, etc.) or would any old
455 KHz IF transformer work?

Eric