Fw: [BOATANCHORS-TEMPE] Hallicrafters S-108 IF transformer

David L. Foreman davelf11 at COX.NET
Mon Dec 3 10:25:14 EST 2007

Eric
Your problem, may well be the capacitors built into the if
transformers. These caps
have been discussed in the rec.antiques.radio+phono
newsgroup. The fellows there
that restore old radios have disasembled the transformers
and removed the capacitors.
The silver migrates past the edge of the mica and shorts.
They carefully cut into
the mica and then use regular micas to replace the built in
caps.

Here is what one person did.

- - - - - - - - - -
I've been able to fix all of them so far by carefully
cleaning the mica wafers -- in every
case there has been a bunch of greyish black crud bridging
between the different
silvered areas of the mica, mostly around the inside edges
where the silvered areas are
closest together, near the hole in the middle that the
threaded stud goes through. I was
thinking maybe the black crud was from moisture exposure or
mold/mildew growth,
but if it keeps coming back I suppose replacing the mica
disc with individual real
capacitors would be the better way to do the repair. So far,
all the ones I've taken apart
and cleaned have kept working, but I wouldn't want to have
to unsolder and reinstall an
IF transformer more than once! I have one radio where I did
this to one transformer,
but now it is starting to act up again in a slightly
different fashion. The original problem
was a noise and then extremely weak AM reception, with only
strong stations still
coming in, but with distortion. Now the AM is always fine,
but occasionally there will
be staticy noise on FM, but without a gain or volume change.
I haven't gone in and
measured yet, but I am leaning towards thinking that a
different IF transformer in this
radio is also leaking sometimes.  The static is worst when
the radio hasn't been used
for a few days. Then it gets real bad after 10 to 15
minutes, but eventually gets quieter
and goes away if the radio is left on long enough.
 - - - - - - - - - -
Here are a couple of more.
- - - - - - - - - -
I don't see any obvious leakage path.  So, I figure, if I
use a needle file to scratch
between the primary and secondary of sections  capacitors, I
may break any unseen
leakage path on the surface. Reassembled the transformer and
installed it back in the
set.  May have done the trick, radio is (so far!) behaving
itself.
- - - - - - - - - - - -
I guess you could do it that way but some day the problem
will return. I prefer to
remove the wafer entirely, clip off the metal tabs such that
they don't overlap and
short, then replace the mica wafer capacitors with discrete
silver mica capacitors.
On some transformers there are silver traces that not only
are part of a capacitor
plate but also serve to jumper two pins together. When the
mica wafer is pulled
you have to solder in a jumper wire to maintain continuity.