SX-101A

George Maier George at MAIERGROUP.COM
Sun Dec 30 00:03:21 EST 2007

Chris, Pete and all:

This aspect of the SX-101A is really an interesting mystery!

Hallicrafters offered the HA-2/ HA-6 transverters around the same time, and
styled them after the HT-37 family. I think most would agree that they are
the best tube type transverters that were ever made. The IF in/out is 28-30
MHz, but the entire band on 6M or 2M can be covered because Hallicrafters
included a crystal switch in the LO to shift the IF appropriately.

As has been pointed out, the SX-101A converter IF input is 30.5 - 34.5, a
range originally chosen by National in the NC-300/NC-303 at least four years
before the SX-101A came out. The difference is that National made a complete
line of converters for this IF to cover 6M, 2M, and 220 MHz; Hallicrafters
never did.  Tapetone and probably a few others made converters for this IF,
but they are hard to find now, while the National converters are more
commonly available.

Truth is, the SX-101A was the first receiver in the series to have a product
detector, (which National had all along in the 300 & 303) and was probably a
catch-up model to compete with the NC-303.  My guess is that Hallicrafters
management gave an order to "make it like an NC-303", and that's exactly
what happened. If they had just calibrated the 10M band for 6 & 2 instead of
picking the National IF scheme, it would have made a lot more sense.
Oh well!!!

73 all & Happy New Year
George - W1LSB (ex K1GXT)