Solid or stranded?

Robert Moulton rmoulton at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Mon Jan 22 00:34:07 EST 2007

I am working on a 1937 Philco cathedral for a friend. I had been stored
a number of years in a warm Arizona garage so much of the wiring needs
to be replaced. While not a complete restoration I am trying to keep it
as original looking as possible for him. Radio Daze has new cloth
covered wiring in 18 and 20 gauge and is available in solid and
stranded. I have been using solid 18 gauge for most of my minor repairs
since I find it easier to use. The original wiring for the Philco is
mostly stranded. I know in most mobile applications that I have worked
on (cars, aircraft, etc.) stranded wire is used commonly due to
vibration and motion. Radio Daze sells the stranded and solid wire at
the same price. Any thoughts here?

Bob