Power vs BNCs

Nigel Holmes Holmes.Nigel at ABC.NET.AU
Wed Jul 25 22:11:26 EDT 2007

The rf working guts of a BNC are essentially the same as an N connector in terms of ratios of ID/OD ratios & mating surfaces. N connectors appear on commercial bc gear handling 300-500 watts at 100 MHz, so with good BNC's you might get away briefly with 1 kW average, no modulation, at hf if the reflected power is low and the cable was 1/2 inch stuff. But I'd be nervous.

Nigel VK3DZ

-----Original Message-----
From: Boat Anchor Owners and Collectors List [mailto:BOATANCHORS at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV] On Behalf Of Ed Tanton
Sent: Thursday, 26 July 2007 11:22 AM
To: BOATANCHORS at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: [BOATANCHORS-TEMPE] Power vs BNCs

I have had, for several years, a very nice Waters 369A Reflectometer. It is basically an SWR/power meter, with 2 vertical meters, with a switchable maximum FWD Power scale of 200W or 2000W. The thing is: it uses BNC connectors. Does anyone have any idea what the deal is? I am under the impression that BNC connectors aren't capable of that much. Much less most of the cables you would have BNC connectors on. I do understand there are some TFE cables that would probably take it, but still it just seems improbable.

While I normally run a great deal less than 1KW, I DO have the capability, and was thinking about using it since my old meters had an unfortunate accident involving 1/4 inch of kitchen sink/garbage disposal/dishwasher 'water' all over them for over a month while I was recovering (DEC 2005) from heart surgery.

Thoughts, comments???

Ed Tanton

website: http://www.n4xy.com

All emails <IN> & <OUT> checked by