Sort of OT-but fascinating

Scott Johnson scottjohnson1 at COX.NET
Thu Jul 26 11:39:26 EDT 2007

I am suprised it was that cheap. I don't think I would have bid that low in 1984.  Parts acquisition had to be a nightmare, and there are so many assemblies that needed to be re-invented.  I'm sure Rockwell didn't help.  There is a tendency to trivialize a tasks such as this, they are indeed enourmous.  I know this from experience, even when a contractor that built a particular widget has to resume production after a brief period of time, the headaches are enormous.  Imagine, all that work to retool, for five radios!  I would guess that today, that contract would be worth at least a cool mil.

As to the requirement, I believe it had to be a contracting screw up, as there were plenty of R-1051's around as GFE, and certainly in that time frame there were still hundreds if not thousands of R-390A's still in the federal supply system.   I wouldn't consider the R-390 to be a tactical radio anyway.  I don't think it would meet the vibration, thermal, and salt fog tests.  Seems odd they were even carried on ships.   I don't want to get into an argument with the R-390 enthusianst (I am one, I have five of them), but let's face it, it was designed to sit in a rack, in a room, maybe a hot, sticky room, but a relatively benign environment nonetheless.

It all makes for a good story, but the bottom line is, you can bet it was a government functionary that caused the screw-up, Fowler just capitalized on the screw-up.  Or maybe not, they may well have lost there butt on that one.

Scott W7SVJ