Johnson Valiant Expertise Needed

Rodger wq9e at DTNSPEED.NET
Sun Mar 18 21:35:38 EDT 2007

Hi Bruce,

I would recheck the grounds around your 5763 in case the problem is
originating there, substitute a different 5763 if you have one.   Double
check your final grid bias and screen voltages to make sure that those
are in the ballpark.  You might also try using your 6146 modulators to
sequentially substitute for your final 6146 tubes in case one of the
tubes has an odd defect..  As I told you in an earlier email, the only
instability I found in either of my Valiants was an odd oscillation in
one (probably TPTG) around 220khz and it was so low in level as to have
little effect on the plate current.

Another thought, if you still have the original "turnstyle" selectable
upon them increases.  If it is original it may well be the problem.

73, Rodger WQ9E