Wanted: Knobs and Knowledge for NATIONAL NCX-3

Ken Ketner ketner at ARISBEASSOCIATES.COM
Fri Mar 30 11:40:57 EDT 2007

Greetings friends of large thermionic emitters:

I have been given guardianship of an orphan NCX-3. It had some rough handling, but I think it will turn out to be a jewel. During its wild oats period, serious dings happened to its mic gain, carrier balance, PA tune, and function knobs. The first 3 are black fluted plastic, straight sides with an aluminum front insert sporting a red dot. The function knob is black, beak style with no tail (only a rounded back, and with same aluminum insert. Picture at http://www.io.com/~nielw/nat_list/ncx3.htm

After the cabinet gets back from the body shop it will need painting. Does anyone know of a stock spray can color that matches National Blue/gray? Or other source of appropriate color? I suppose it is too much to hope that there is a wrinkle paint correct for it that is still available.

If anyone has advice or goods, I will be happy to reimburse as needed.

After a good cleanup, and some circuit TLC, it is running. From first impressions, this is a nice, strong radio. The receiver is hot and VFO no-drifty; the TX seems ready to rock and roll. And I haven't even aligned it yet.

General advice, knowledge, experience on the rig welcome.

73

Ken Ketner
ARS KA5ELD (Extra Class) ARRL, RSGB, GQRP #809
		Personal Webpage: http://www.wyttynys.net
		Office Webpage: http://www.pragmaticism.net
Email:
	home:	ketner(at)arisbeassociates(dot)com
	office: kenneth(dot)ketner(at)ttu(dot)edu

US MAIL
PO Box 65135
Lubbock, TX 79464