160 M with Heath SA2060 Tuner

Rich Sahlender rsahlen at VOICENET.COM
Sun Nov 4 10:23:42 EST 2007

Bruce,

The 2060 should handle this just fine. The counter for the coil will be
well above 200 but it should work. I have used my 2060 without issue
to load several wire antennas on 160m: a 130 foot zepp with only about
25 feet of 450 ohm ladder line as feeder, a 130 foot folded dipole made
with cheap 300 ohm twinlead, a slinky dipole in the attic resonant on
40m fed with 4:1 balun and RG8.

The zepp and folded dipole of course use the large posts on the back of
the 2060 and therefore use the internal balun. I tuned the slinky using
one of the coax ports. As you might imagine performance with the slinky
was rather poor compared to the others but was enough to make a few cw
contacts in a pinch.

In your case I would check both the shorting bar on the binding posts
and the internal balun. Offhand I forget the proper setting for the
shorting bar when feeding with open wire but can check if you need. As
for the internal balun, I recall when I built mine years ago it took
quite a bit of strength to pull the wiring tight enough on the core to
get the approproate number of turns on the internal balun. If the turns
are not quite right or the balun is not wired properly it may explain
the inability to tune...

73 de Rich WA3WLH