Works Upsidedown!

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Fri Nov 23 11:57:34 EST 2007

Is this the proper time for an "I told you so"?

:>)

Glen, K9STH

--- "Alan W. Fremmer" <AWFremmer at AOL.COM> wrote:

Was working on a Johnson Adventurer, bought on eBay,
which was found to  have one of two electrolytic
capacitors a dead short. Replaced both and  found I
could load the PA to 90 ma with nice power out. Within
a minute or  so the power started dropping off and I
noticed the filaments on the 807 were  dimming. Tried
wiggling the tube in it's socket with limited success,
 spraying the contacts with cleaner, the whole nine
yards with no improvement.

Turned the rig over to check solder joints and
everything looked  good. Turned the transmitter on and
all filaments glowed perfectly and the  transmitter
was working once again.  Right side up - no glow on
the  807.

I bet by now most of you know where the fault lay.
After hours of  futile searching I found the  screw,
washer, nut and spade lug of the  ground return was
loose.  A quick tightening and I was in business.  I
should have listened to the experts on this site, like
Glen among others, who  pointed out that this was one
pf the first things to be done.

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com