Cracked coil Form Slugs Help!!!

WE0H we0h at YAHOO.COM
Mon Sep 24 02:02:27 EDT 2007

Hello Steve,

Here's an idea if you absolutely must have this radio functioning 100%
like new. Figure out what core material the broken ones are. Buy some
ferrite material possibly from one of the ferrite core manufacturers or
just buy some big thick cores. Have a damn good machinist carve out new
cores for your inductors out of the ferrite material you purchased. I
don't see any reason ferrite could not be machined with the right
tooling and machine. You will end up with custom machined cores for your
inductors. The center hex shaped hole could be changed to something
stronger as long as you kept the total ferrite mass the same as the
original cores with the hex center holes.

Does this sound reasonable or like a crazy idea? I used to work for a
shop that could make nearly anything when an original part was
un-obtainable otherwise. Sure it costs money, but it sounds like you
must have this radio back to original spec's. But first try finding a
parts donor radio or something with same physical sized inductors that
you could wind to your spec's needed in the design.

Mike
WE0H