Why are metal tubes suddenly valuable?

Mike Langner mlangner at SWCP.COM
Fri Sep 28 11:54:30 EDT 2007

Yes, the "golden ears" are purchasing metal tubes like crazy.  I've sold a
handful of 'em on eBay -- all but two went overseas, and all went to "music
interests."  In my opinion, these are the same folks that put bricks atop
their amplifiers to keep the room vibrations from coloring the sound, prefer
vinyl, if they use CD's make certain they've used a green magic marker to
make the edges of their CD's green, and put weights on all their unshielded
glass tubes to stop the unwanted "resonances." Oh, and by the way -- they
use heavy-duty AC line filtering -- you never know when the distorted
quality of the AC power wave will introduce unwanted sound artifacts in your
home stereo system -- some believe the power line distortion is passed right
through the amplifier system . . .

And don't get me started on "oxygen free grain oriented speaker wire."  One
friend of mine years ago who worked in an automotive sound shop related the
day that the "fancy speaker wire" salesman came by with a demonstration that
his wires would pass square waves much better than regular speaker wire.  In
his demonstration, his wires were better.  Never mind that he was using 100
kHz square waves as his test signal.

Assuming for reasonable rise time we need at least the 5th harmonic of the
fundamental, the 500 kHz signal isn't going to make much difference for my
hearing.  Come to think of it, neither is the 100 kHz fundamental, either.

For an interesting experience in "golden ears" and "smoke and mirrors," pick
up a copy of Stereophile Magazine.  As we used to say decades ago, "It'll
blow your mind!"

There's a lot of money to be made in hopes, illusions, magic, and the audio
version of "placebo effect!"

Mike/

Mike Langner
K5MGR